The hubs and I are avid movie goers, but admittedly we have not seen as many lately as we would like (thanks massive honey do list). However, the Oscar’s are right around the corner saddled to air March 2nd, which is exciting for fans like us! We have not seen all of the nominees this year, but there are some strong contenders. It’s bound to be a great year for some of our favorite actors.
The show is a bit later than usual this year, but that just means more time to plan an Oscar viewing party worthy of an Academy Award!
How you ask? Let’s turn to the blogging world to find out. Photo credits belong to each individual blogger or page and a link back to the page is attached to each image.
1. To start, send out invitations to everyone reminiscent of getting invited to a shindig at Gatsby’s mansion. Keep it simple, but fancy. Send it electronically for free via evite.com or go old school and mail out invitations. I like these from Twig & Thistle from a few years ago, download the free printable here:
Or this one from Paper Muse Press, which really reminds me of The Great Gatsby parties:
You can also dare to be creative and design your own using the free service at Paperless Post.
2. Of course, you are gonna have to roll out the red carpet for your guests just like at the Oscars.
3. Decorate in style. Float some pearly gold and black balloons. These come cheap from Party City.
Use lots of pretty black and white details. Find a version of this awesome Tassel Garland on Etsy.
Gold plastic plates and silverware are inexpensive, but make a fun statement. Make gold confetti using a large hole punch and heavy duty shiny gold paper.
4. Provide your guests with an Oscar Nominee Ballot and turn it into a fun, competitive game – whoever guesses the most correct wins in each category gets a prize!
How About Orange does a beautiful graphic version every year that you can download for free directly from her website, here, in pdf. You can also download her Oscar Bingo to add a little fun to the party!
5. Get the party started with some classic cocktails in honor of your favorite nominees for Best Picture! Serve up this classic Dirty Martini from BBC with olives to celebrate the Wolf of Wall Street and a Harvey Wallbanger from Daisy’s World with the Italian Galliano liquer for American Hustle.
6. Dish up menus inspired by your favorite Best Picture nominee. Thanks to Epicurious, all of the thought into planning a menu is taken care of for you. Chicken Piccata and cannolis for American Hustle or collard greens and johnnycakes for 12 Years a Slave.
7. Popcorn is a must at any movie-themed party, especially one celebrating the Oscars.
Try a twist on traditional movie popcorn with Two Peas and a Pod’s Garlic Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn:
Put out a pretty Popcorn bar like this one with an assortment of flavors, drizzles, salts, melted butters, fillers.
8. Have Irish Coffee, like this one from Delish, available in honor of Captain Phillips when the late night sleepies start to set in so you can make it to the best part – Best Picture winner! Everything gon’ be alright, Irish.
What was your favorite movie this season? Are you rooting for your favorite actor or song? I’m really hoping “Let It Go” pulls off a coup and wins best original song! We really enjoyed that movie this year. I’m also hoping that Leo finally gets his turn at the Oscar since it’s long overdue!
Enjoy the Oscars!