This post is in partnership with World Market, a brand I love. All opinions here are my own.
I don’t know about you, but my deck and backyard were looking pretty drab after spending a cold, dreary winter cooped up inside with a newborn! It’s the last place I want to hang out now that it’s getting warmer. I’d love to share some tips for how to freshen up your outdoor space and enjoy some outdoor living this summer.
Clean it up, spruce it up and refresh it so that the whole family can enjoy time outside in a cozy, comfy private oasis. These are easy things that can be done in a single day or weekend depending on the level of grime found on your existing space!
Keep in mind that I have a new baby at home and was able to accomplish all of this in a weekend when the weather and the baby cooperated. You will want to plan out ahead of time how to best tackle each tip, but I’d suggest cleaning first thing in the morning, then shopping and planting in the afternoon and evening. By shopping in the afternoon, you are staying out of the sun during the hottest part of the day!! And if you like any of the items we used to revamp our deck shown in the pictures, there will be a shop this post section at the bottom with links to almost every product!
Here are my tips for a quick outdoor refresh that will make you want to hang out on your deck this summer!
- Take stock of your existing outdoor furniture and decor. Look around and figure out what you’ve already got that still works. Is it still usable? Does it just need a good cleaning or spray paint job? Would a new pillow revive it for another year? Making what you’ve already got work for you for another season will cut down on the money and time it will take to get your outdoor space feeling like a place you want to spend time again.
- Look around your house for decor items that would work outside.
- Donate or trash anything you don’t plan on re-using. If you are local to Knoxville, there are places that will pick-up your donations and gladly take them off your hands. Check out KARM and Salvation Army Knoxville.
- Give the items you are keeping a deep clean! I went to town on my outdoor table and chairs and a pair of wicker style loungers I bought at World Market last season with a hard bristle scrub brush and bucket of oxy clean. It’s amazing what a little elbow grease can accomplish. While I was cleaning furniture, my husband blew out the gutters around our deck and then blew any leaves off of it for me. Then I also scrubbed the really dirty spots on our deck boards too! No need to rent or pay someone with a pressure washer. A quick clean yourself only takes a little time and is enough to make the space feel welcoming again.
- Purchase a few new pieces to round out your outdoor decor and spruce up the space. Spending the money on just a few things that are in season will really help refresh the space. Go for bold colors and prints when decorating outside so that it pops. When I am outside at home, I’m dreaming of being at the beach, so I want the space to remind me of vacationing there. So I tend to pick bold blues and greens that remind me of the ocean and palm trees. Go for bang for your buck with a pretty new outdoor rug and a new side table in a bright color. Toss in a few colorful throw pillows and small decor items.I love my local World Market shop located in the Turkey Creek shopping center of West Knoxville for outdoor decor and other home furnishing items – I am seriously in there all the time! It is where we purchase most of our outdoor furniture now, including past umbrellas and the two white wicker style armchairs seen in this post. They always have a great selection and prices, plus you can often find a good deal with a sale or coupon! You can find the store nearest you using the World Market store locator page on their website.
- Add Outdoor Lighting to set the mood and so you can enjoy your outdoor space in the evening when you get home from work too. Pick up a few hurricane vases and a strand of exterior twinkle lights. Use flameless candles like these that are set to a timer so they automatically turn on and off for you.
- Bring in some greenery. A few bright, cheery plants go a long way in revitalizing a space. They just feel happy and you will feel good about adding to the eco system. Make sure you are choosing plants well suited to the light your outdoor space gets during the day. If you don’t have a green thumb, then stick to faux plants or varieties that require minimal attention. A cactus or succulents tend to be hardy options that will withstand neglect. Each year at this time, I like to pick up fresh herbs to re-start an herb garden for the summer. Our deck is right off the kitchen, so it’s a great spot to put fresh basil, mint, thyme and parsley in pots for easy picking. You can shop local for plants to fill existing pots or purchase premade hanging baskets and planters. If you don’t have local nurseries nearby, Costco is actually a great source for premade planters that are affordable.
I went with colorful, yet hardy plants with different textures like wave petunias, sweet potato vine, and geraniums.
These are ornamental peppers for a pop of color!
Pentas do well in full sun and bloom pretty star shaped flowers all summer long.
Lifestyle Expert Brandi Milloy also shares her top tips on bringing indoor comforts outside – an important key in refreshing your outdoor space and making it comfortable for summer. Check it out over on the World Market Blog: http://bit.ly/2odzKaB and watch her video below.
Shop this Post! As promised, I’ve included links below to all of the products used in this post. All can be found at your nearest World Market store, which you can find using their store locator page.
Blue All Weather Wicker Stacking Tub Chair / Green Outdoor Throw Pillow / Teal Outdoor Umbrella / Pineapple String Lights / Surf Spray Faceted Stool / Blue Geo Tapestry Indoor Outdoor Rug / Teardrop Lantern / Rattan Bulb Hurricane / Palm Leaf Indoor Outdoor Pillow