Back with a vengeance!!!
We’re mostly settled in the new home. So awesome that our closing/moving date was on the 2nd hottest day on record in Knoxville. High of 104…and we’re moving a truckload of furniture. AND the A/C in the U-Haul was out. Guess who had heat rash at the end of the day?
So, we now that we have fully operational
death star internet at home and it’s time to bring you back full fold into our blogging world with some outright bloggery.
How’s about something to eat? Like…a pie? Yeah, I figured that would get your attention.
“It’s tangy. It has a tangy-ness” – Paul Child, Julie & Julia (of course we own that movie, are you serious?)
When someone hears that buttermilk has founds it’s way into a pie as a critical ingredient, it’s usually not met with open arms. But make this, and allow your mind to be changed. But the main flavor I can describe is “tangy”, with the texture of silk 🙂 (or maybe you LOVE buttermilk and have no issues with it)
Now, I don’t even like buttermilk. But this pie just has a simply fantastic flavor. And while we’re at it, there’s no harm in plugging our local dairy farm Cruze Farm which makes the most delicious milk products. If you’re feeling spry one Saturday morning, head downtown to the farmer’s market and get some of their insanely yummy ice cream and chase it with some sinfully delicious chocolate milk. Now I’m off on a tangent…
So without further ado…..
- 3 Large eggs – Separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp AP Flour
- 1 stick melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Pie shell (we use Julia Child’s crust recipe)
- Preheat oven to 325
- With an electric mixer, beat egg yolks slightly
- Mix flour and sugar together, add to egg yolks
- Beat until creamy and pale yellow
- Add melted butter, mix well
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- Fold egg whites into pie mixture
- Pour into pie shell
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes
Enjoy! I sure as heck do!